U.S. Warns Citizens in Mexico After Cartel Leader’s Death

Summary

The U.S. advised citizens in parts of Mexico to shelter in place after a cartel leader's death sparked violence.

Why this matters

This situation emphasizes the ongoing security concerns in Mexico related to cartel violence, impacting both regional stability and international relations.

The U.S. State Department on Sunday urged American citizens in certain areas of Mexico to shelter in place due to ‘ongoing security operations and related road blockages and criminal activity.’

The advisory applies to the Mexican states of Jalisco, Tamaulipas, Michoacán, Guerrero, and Nuevo Leon.

This warning followed the Mexican army’s announcement of the death of Nemesio Rubén Oseguera Cervantes, also known as ‘El Mencho,’ leader of the Jalisco New Generation Cartel. Mexico’s Ministry of Defense disclosed this on the social platform X.

In response to the drug lord’s death, violent incidents erupted in parts of western Mexico. Reports highlighted that roadblocks, a tactic frequently used by cartels to impede military operations, obstructed 21 highways by midday Sunday, confirmed the Security Cabinet of the Government of Mexico.

Footage on social media depicted smoke in Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, and panicked scenes at the Guadalajara International Airport. Airlines have since issued travel advisories or halted flights. Schools in Jalisco were closed for Monday.

President Trump has expressed willingness to conduct strikes within Mexico to combat the drug trade, as U.S. military efforts target alleged drug-trafficking vessels in certain regions. Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum has opposed such intervention measures.

  • Disneyland faces suit over facial recognition use

    Disney introduced the technology across Disneyland Resort in late April to verify tickets. Guests’ faces are scanned, converted into a numerical identifier, and matched with ticket data.

    Full story +

  • U.S. charges Raúl Castro, 5 pilots in 1996 downings

    González-Pardo Rodríguez, 65, is the only defendant in U.S. custody. He is scheduled to be sentenced later this month.

    Full story +

  • Paris school abuse probe widens, 16 detained

    The suspects, all linked to a nursery school in Paris’ 7th arrondissement, were held on allegations including rape of minors, sexual assault of minors, and violence against minors.

    Full story +

  • Russia, Belarus conclude joint nuclear drills

    Russia said the exercise focused on the “preparation and use of nuclear forces under the threat of aggression.”

    Full story +

  • Stocks rise, oil pares gains on U.S.-Iran deal hopes

    Oil prices edged lower after rising earlier in the day.

    Full story +

  • SpaceX IPO filing revealed $1.29B bitcoin holdings

    The filing also disclosed that SpaceX held 18,712 bitcoin worth about $1.29 billion.

    Full story +

  • Meta settles Kentucky school district social media case

    About 1,200 school districts are pursuing similar claims.

    Full story +

  • Gas prices top $4 in all 50 states before holiday

    With transit through the strait near a standstill, global refineries have struggled to secure enough crude oil to process. JPMorgan described the situation as a “refining and end-user fuel crisis.”

    Full story +

  • Florida community installs AI beehives for crop pollination

    Bee populations in the U.S. have faced threats from parasites, pesticides, disease, and extreme weather, concerns that agricultural experts say could affect food production.

    Full story +

  • Ebola-infected U.S. doctor says he’s optimistic

    Stafford received two IV treatments, including monoclonal antibodies.

    Full story +