French prosecutors investigate Philippe over contract

Summary

French prosecutors opened an investigation into allegations tied to a Le Havre digital hub contract involving presidential hopeful Édouard Philippe.

Why this matters

The inquiry affects a leading centrist figure ahead of France’s next presidential election and adds scrutiny to multiple prospective candidates. It may shape voter perceptions as parties prepare for the post-Macron race.

French investigators are examining allegations of embezzlement involving presidential contender Édouard Philippe over the award of a digital hub contract in Le Havre, where he is mayor, prosecutors said.

Philippe, 55, a centrist former prime minister and leader of the Horizons party, denied the accusations. Polls have suggested he could be a strong contender in next year’s election to succeed President Emmanuel Macron.

His team said he had taken note of the probe and would “answer the questions put to him by the judiciary as he has always done in a very serene manner.”

A former senior local government official accused Philippe of possible misconduct over the 2020 decision to award management of a digital hub in Le Havre to an association led by one of his deputies.

The National Financial Prosecutor’s Office said Tuesday that an investigation into suspected embezzlement of public funds, favoritism, unlawful taking of interest, and extortion was ordered earlier this month.

According to the complaint, the investigating magistrate will assess whether there was an arrangement between Philippe and his deputy involving “political, financial and relational support in return for managing” the digital hub.

France’s rights ombudswoman last year granted whistleblower status to the civil servant who filed the complaint, a designation Philippe rejected. The former official said her 2020-2023 contract was not renewed and that she was bullied after raising the allegations.

An association called LH French Tech received the contract in July 2020 after being the only bidder. Under the agreement, the association, created that same month and led by the deputy mayor, was to receive more than 2 million euros, or about $2.3 million, over several years to run the hub.

The former civil servant alleged a conflict of interest because the arrangement gave the mayor and his deputy “control over considerable sums” of money.

In a separate case, financial prosecutor Pascal Prache said Wednesday that another potential presidential candidate, former Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin, was under preliminary investigation over two statuettes he allegedly received while serving as foreign minister from 2002 to 2004.

Prache said the investigation, opened Tuesday, concerned alleged “handling of embezzled public funds.” De Villepin’s team said he would be “calmly at the disposal” of investigators.

De Villepin earlier this month said he had made a “mistake” in accepting the gifts, but said there had been “no guidelines on these kinds of situations at the time.”

  • Everest sees record 274 summits in day from Nepal

    Everest, at 8,849 meters (29,032 feet), straddles the border between Nepal and China’s Tibet region and can be climbed from both sides.

    Full story +

  • Kenya cuts diesel prices after protest deaths

    The cut is expected to cost the government nearly $21 million in lost revenue.

    Full story +

  • French prosecutors investigate Philippe over contract

    Another potential presidential candidate, former Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin, is under preliminary investigation.

    Full story +

  • Iran reports 26 ships crossed Strait of Hormuz

    Drone attacks also hit the UAE and Jordan.

    Full story +

  • 87 Gaza flotilla detainees begin hunger strike

    The U.S. sanctioned four flotilla activists, saying the organizers were acting “in support of Hamas.”

    Full story +

  • SpaceX files IPO, picks Nasdaq for market debut

    SpaceX filed for an IPO and said it chose Nasdaq for a listing that could be the largest on record.

    Full story +

  • Intuit to cut 3,000 jobs, shift focus to AI

    The cuts come amid broader layoffs across the tech sector. More than 100,000 tech jobs have been eliminated this year, including at Amazon, Meta, Microsoft, and Oracle. 

    Full story +

  • Tesla rolls out Full Self-Driving in Lithuania

    Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk has said he expects the European Union to approve Full Self-Driving soon, though several Nordic regulators have expressed skepticism about the technology.

    Full story +

  • WHO says Ebola spread risk high in Congo, Uganda

    The U.S. has agreed to fund 50 emergency clinics and has contributed $13 million so far, with more to come.

    Full story +

  • Army doctor faces 273 allegations involving 96

    The Army said the alleged misconduct occurred between 2019 and 2026, extending the timeline previously announced.

    Full story +