Iran’s Revolutionary Guards navy said Wednesday that 26 commercial vessels, including oil tankers and container ships, transited the Strait of Hormuz in the previous 24 hours.
In a post on X, the force said the ships passed after “coordination and security provided by the IRGC navy.” Iran has said vessels using the waterway must obtain permission from its armed forces.
Tensions remained high across the region.
The United Arab Emirates urged Iraq to prevent hostile acts from its territory after a drone attack on the Barakah nuclear power plant, according to the UAE Foreign Ministry. The UAE Defense Ministry said Tuesday that the drone that caused a fire at the plant on Sunday had been launched from Iraq.
Jordan’s military said it shot down a drone of unknown origin in its airspace Wednesday, with no casualties reported.
Iranian officials said they preferred diplomacy but were prepared for conflict if hostilities resumed.
Iran’s Revolutionary Guards also warned against renewed U.S. and Israeli attacks. “If the aggression against Iran is repeated, the promised regional war will this time spread far beyond the region, and our devastating blows will crush you,” the Guards said in a statement on Sepah News.
French Defense Minister Catherine Vautrin said France had “no certainty” that mines had been laid in the Strait of Hormuz after U.S. media reported that at least 10 mines had been identified there. She told France Info radio that demining ships were being sent to the region as part of a potential Franco-British-led mission, and that France had one at its base in Djibouti.
Shipping data showed that two Chinese tankers carrying about 4 million barrels of Iraqi crude exited the strait Wednesday, according to LSEG and Kpler.