Judge limits ICE arrests at Manhattan courts

Summary

A federal judge temporarily limited ICE civil arrests at several Manhattan immigration courthouses as a lawsuit continues.

Why this matters

The ruling affects how immigration enforcement can be carried out at Manhattan immigration courts while the case proceeds. It also follows the government’s correction of a factual claim used to defend the policy in court.

A federal judge on Monday largely blocked U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) from making civil immigration arrests at several Manhattan immigration courthouses while a broader lawsuit moves forward.

U.S. District Judge P. Kevin Castel said ICE officers must temporarily return to narrower Biden-era limits on courthouse arrests.

Castel revisited an earlier 2025 ruling that had declined to halt the policy after Justice Department lawyers told the court in March they needed to correct prior claims about a May 2025 ICE courthouse enforcement memo. The government later acknowledged the guidance “does not and has never applied” to immigration courts.

Castel wrote that the change justified revisiting the earlier ruling “to correct a clear error and prevent a manifest injustice.”

Castel wrote that the plaintiffs were likely to succeed in arguing the administration acted arbitrarily and capriciously when it rescinded a 2021 ICE policy restricting courthouse arrests without adequately explaining how the new policy applied to immigration courts.

The ruling did not fully bar courthouse arrests. Castel said ICE could still conduct enforcement actions involving national security threats, imminent violence, hot pursuit, or threats to criminal evidence.

  • Everest sees record 274 summits in day from Nepal

    Everest, at 8,849 meters (29,032 feet), straddles the border between Nepal and China’s Tibet region and can be climbed from both sides.

    Full story +

  • Kenya cuts diesel prices after protest deaths

    The cut is expected to cost the government nearly $21 million in lost revenue.

    Full story +

  • French prosecutors investigate Philippe over contract

    Another potential presidential candidate, former Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin, is under preliminary investigation.

    Full story +

  • Iran reports 26 ships crossed Strait of Hormuz

    Drone attacks also hit the UAE and Jordan.

    Full story +

  • 87 Gaza flotilla detainees begin hunger strike

    The U.S. sanctioned four flotilla activists, saying the organizers were acting “in support of Hamas.”

    Full story +

  • SpaceX files IPO, picks Nasdaq for market debut

    SpaceX filed for an IPO and said it chose Nasdaq for a listing that could be the largest on record.

    Full story +

  • Intuit to cut 3,000 jobs, shift focus to AI

    The cuts come amid broader layoffs across the tech sector. More than 100,000 tech jobs have been eliminated this year, including at Amazon, Meta, Microsoft, and Oracle. 

    Full story +

  • Tesla rolls out Full Self-Driving in Lithuania

    Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk has said he expects the European Union to approve Full Self-Driving soon, though several Nordic regulators have expressed skepticism about the technology.

    Full story +

  • WHO says Ebola spread risk high in Congo, Uganda

    The U.S. has agreed to fund 50 emergency clinics and has contributed $13 million so far, with more to come.

    Full story +

  • Army doctor faces 273 allegations involving 96

    The Army said the alleged misconduct occurred between 2019 and 2026, extending the timeline previously announced.

    Full story +