U.S. sanctions Cuban officials amid rising tensions

Summary

U.S. sanctions hit 11 Cuban individuals as Washington cited security concerns and tensions rose Monday.

Why this matters

The sanctions affected senior Cuban officials and could further strain U.S.-Cuba relations. The developments also came alongside new reporting and public warnings tied to regional security concerns.

In a fact sheet released Monday, the State Department said it was “sanctioning 11 Cuban regime-aligned actors and three entities in furtherance of the Trump Administration’s comprehensive campaign to address the pressing national security threats posed by Cuba’s communist regime and hold accountable the regime and those who provide it material or financial support.”

The State Department said those sanctioned included Cuban Minister of Energy and Mines Vicente de la O Levy, Cuban Minister of Communications Mayra Arevich Marín, and National Assembly of People’s Power President Juan Esteban Lazo Hernández.

According to the State Department fact sheet, any property “and interests in property” of those sanctioned that are in the United States “are blocked and must be reported to the Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC).”

Also Monday, Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel warned of a “bloodbath” if the United States attacked Cuba. His comments followed an Axios report that, citing classified intelligence, said Cuba had more than 300 military drones and had discussed plans to use them to target the U.S. military base at Guantanamo Bay or Key West, Florida.

Axios reported that the intelligence indicated Cuba’s drone buildup could also threaten those sites and U.S. military vessels.

“The threats of military aggression against Cuba from the world’s greatest power are well-known,” Díaz-Canel wrote on X.

  • Everest sees record 274 summits in day from Nepal

    Everest, at 8,849 meters (29,032 feet), straddles the border between Nepal and China’s Tibet region and can be climbed from both sides.

    Full story +

  • Kenya cuts diesel prices after protest deaths

    The cut is expected to cost the government nearly $21 million in lost revenue.

    Full story +

  • French prosecutors investigate Philippe over contract

    Another potential presidential candidate, former Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin, is under preliminary investigation.

    Full story +

  • Iran reports 26 ships crossed Strait of Hormuz

    Drone attacks also hit the UAE and Jordan.

    Full story +

  • 87 Gaza flotilla detainees begin hunger strike

    The U.S. sanctioned four flotilla activists, saying the organizers were acting “in support of Hamas.”

    Full story +

  • SpaceX files IPO, picks Nasdaq for market debut

    SpaceX filed for an IPO and said it chose Nasdaq for a listing that could be the largest on record.

    Full story +

  • Intuit to cut 3,000 jobs, shift focus to AI

    The cuts come amid broader layoffs across the tech sector. More than 100,000 tech jobs have been eliminated this year, including at Amazon, Meta, Microsoft, and Oracle. 

    Full story +

  • Tesla rolls out Full Self-Driving in Lithuania

    Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk has said he expects the European Union to approve Full Self-Driving soon, though several Nordic regulators have expressed skepticism about the technology.

    Full story +

  • WHO says Ebola spread risk high in Congo, Uganda

    The U.S. has agreed to fund 50 emergency clinics and has contributed $13 million so far, with more to come.

    Full story +

  • Army doctor faces 273 allegations involving 96

    The Army said the alleged misconduct occurred between 2019 and 2026, extending the timeline previously announced.

    Full story +