Virginia ex-assistant principal faces neglect trial

Summary

A former Virginia assistant principal went on trial over the 2023 shooting of teacher Abby Zwerner by a 6-year-old student.

Why this matters

The case centers on whether school officials can face criminal liability for failing to respond to warnings before a school shooting. It also follows a civil verdict tied to the same incident and could shape scrutiny of school safety responsibilities.

Jury selection began Monday in Newport News in the trial of Ebony Parker, a former assistant principal at Richneck Elementary School who faces eight felony child neglect charges in the 2023 shooting of first-grade teacher Abby Zwerner.

Parker pleaded not guilty. Prosecutors alleged several school employees warned Parker that a 6-year-old student might have a gun, but she did not act before the shooting.

Parker’s defense argued she was being unfairly blamed for broader failures that preceded the shooting. During an earlier civil trial, her attorneys said the shooting was “unforeseeable” and argued she did not have a legal responsibility to protect Zwerner from the attack.

Prosecutors brought one count for each of the eight bullets loaded in the gun. If convicted, Parker could face up to five years in prison on each count.

Authorities said the shooting happened Jan. 6, 2023, when the 6-year-old student shot Zwerner while she was teaching. She was hospitalized for nearly two weeks and underwent six surgeries after the bullet narrowly missed her heart. She still has limited use of her left hand.

Authorities said the child got the gun from his mother’s purse after climbing onto a dresser. The student’s mother was previously sentenced to nearly four years in prison.

  • Everest sees record 274 summits in day from Nepal

    Everest, at 8,849 meters (29,032 feet), straddles the border between Nepal and China’s Tibet region and can be climbed from both sides.

    Full story +

  • Kenya cuts diesel prices after protest deaths

    The cut is expected to cost the government nearly $21 million in lost revenue.

    Full story +

  • French prosecutors investigate Philippe over contract

    Another potential presidential candidate, former Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin, is under preliminary investigation.

    Full story +

  • Iran reports 26 ships crossed Strait of Hormuz

    Drone attacks also hit the UAE and Jordan.

    Full story +

  • 87 Gaza flotilla detainees begin hunger strike

    The U.S. sanctioned four flotilla activists, saying the organizers were acting “in support of Hamas.”

    Full story +

  • SpaceX files IPO, picks Nasdaq for market debut

    SpaceX filed for an IPO and said it chose Nasdaq for a listing that could be the largest on record.

    Full story +

  • Intuit to cut 3,000 jobs, shift focus to AI

    The cuts come amid broader layoffs across the tech sector. More than 100,000 tech jobs have been eliminated this year, including at Amazon, Meta, Microsoft, and Oracle. 

    Full story +

  • Tesla rolls out Full Self-Driving in Lithuania

    Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk has said he expects the European Union to approve Full Self-Driving soon, though several Nordic regulators have expressed skepticism about the technology.

    Full story +

  • WHO says Ebola spread risk high in Congo, Uganda

    The U.S. has agreed to fund 50 emergency clinics and has contributed $13 million so far, with more to come.

    Full story +

  • Army doctor faces 273 allegations involving 96

    The Army said the alleged misconduct occurred between 2019 and 2026, extending the timeline previously announced.

    Full story +