North Carolina Senate race draws more outside ad money

·

·

1–2 minutes

Summary

A new $5.6 million ad buy added to rising outside spending in North Carolina’s U.S. Senate race.

Why this matters

The spending shows national groups are investing heavily in a closely watched North Carolina Senate race. The scale of outside money could shape how voters hear about the candidates in the final months of the campaign.

Spending in North Carolina’s U.S. Senate race continued to rise after Americans for Prosperity Action announced $5.6 million in advertising across seven battleground states, including North Carolina.

The group said the North Carolina portion was part of a seven-figure investment supporting Republican Michael Whatley.

The race is expected to be the most expensive Senate contest in state history. WRAL State House Reporter Will Doran said the 2026 race was already nearing the roughly $100 million spent in Sen. Thom Tillis’ race, with about three months remaining.

A new ad from Americans for Prosperity Action said, “Tired of higher bills? So is Whatley. Sick of gridlock standing in the way? Whatley is too.” The ad presented Whatley as not being a career politician.

The announcement came a day after an Elon University poll found Democrat Roy Cooper leading Whatley by 11 points, 53% to 42%, with 5% undecided.

“Whatley has been narrowing the gap a little bit. He obviously has a lot of work to do to get people to know who he is, especially compared to someone like Roy Cooper who is almost a universal figure in state politics. You know, he’s got to convince people one to pay attention to him, and you know, two just to know what he’s about,” Doran said.

Doran said the timing of the ad buy was not surprising after the poll showed Whatley gaining on Cooper while still trailing.

Cooper’s campaign has focused largely on affordability as inflation continued rising under President Donald Trump.

Whatley has focused more on public safety, accusing Cooper and other Democrats of being soft on crime.

The Americans for Prosperity Action announcement followed a pledge from Senate Majority PAC, a Democratic-aligned group, to spend an additional $11 million to help elect Cooper.

  • WWII Memorial vandalized on National Mall

    The Interior Department said late Thursday that U.S. Park Police were at the scene and investigating.

    Full story +

  • Tyson to close Illinois beef plant, sell Washington site

    Tyson earlier this month reported a $142 million loss in its beef division for its most recent quarter. The company said its average beef sales price rose nearly 12% from a year earlier.

    Full story +

  • , ,

    Trump Sets Drone Tariffs, With Higher Rates on China

    Trump also authorized the commerce secretary to create an onshoring program for companies making new investments in U.S. drone and drone-component manufacturing, consistent with the administration’s effort to strengthen national defense industries.

    Full story +

  • Georgia man gets 45 years after shooting SC trooper

    Public defender Jeremy Thompson said the accused was high at the time and did not remember what happened. 

    Full story +

  • State budget expands college scholarships statewide

    Lawmakers committed $18.7 million to expand the program to 32 counties.

    Full story +

  • North Carolina Senate race draws more outside ad money

    The ongoing Senate race is expected to be the most expensive Senate contest in state history.

    Full story +

  • Jackson disputes Duke testimony on rate increase

    Duke Energy Progress originally sought an 18.1% increase in residential rates over two years, but later reduced its request.

    Full story +

  • U.S. missionary freed after kidnapping in Niger

    No armed group claimed responsibility for the abduction.

    Full story +

  • UAE says Iran attacked 2 ADNOC vessels in Hormuz

    No injuries were reported, the ministry said.

    Full story +

  • U.S. to announce new Iran sanctions next week

    Over the weekend, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said a pact with Oman to establish a shipping route through the strait was “very close,” without providing details. No agreement had been announced. 

    Full story +