South Carolina high school seniors statewide will become eligible for Meeting Street Scholarships under a public-private partnership included in the state budget sent Tuesday to Gov. Henry McMaster.
Lawmakers committed $18.7 million to expand the program to 32 counties. The scholarships cover gaps not paid by other aid, providing up to $10,000 a year for four years, or up to $40,000 total, for low-income students who maintain at least a B average.
Students must qualify for a federal Pell Grant and receive either a LIFE Scholarship or Palmetto Fellows scholarship. Legislative leaders also expanded eligibility to graduates of private schools and homeschools; previously, only public high school graduates qualified.
Nearly 3,000 students in the Class of 2027 could qualify, according to Beemok Education, the nonprofit run by Charleston businessman Ben Navarro that administers the program. State funding is expected to cover about 2,300 scholarships awarded next year.
What began in Charleston County for the Class of 2021 has expanded to 14 counties through private donations from Navarro and his wife, Kelly, and other donors, including Darla Moore. Donors have committed about $88 million, according to Beemok.
In the 32-county expansion, state lottery profits will fund 80% of scholarships and private donations will fund 20%. In the 14 legacy counties, private donations will continue to cover the full cost.
The budget is not yet final. It will take effect after McMaster issues line-item vetoes, expected Monday. Beemok President Josh Bell said the estimated cost increased after lawmakers added private school and homeschool graduates.
Navarro said no qualifying student would be denied if demand exceeds estimates. “One way or another, we will fund every one of them,” he said.
Beemok said 88% of nearly 2,220 students awarded scholarships since 2021 have either graduated or remain enrolled. The average award fills a $7,900 gap in tuition, housing, meals, and fees. Of graduates so far, 70% left college with no debt and 80% stayed in South Carolina to work, according to Beemok.
Starting this school year, scholarship recipients in their second and third years of college must complete 250 work hours to remain eligible the following year. Bell said more than 80% were already meeting that threshold through jobs, internships, or research.
