U.S. missionary freed after kidnapping in Niger

·

·

1–2 minutes

Summary

American missionary Kevin Rideout was released after being kidnapped in Niger’s capital in October, his organization said.

Why this matters

The release ends a high-profile kidnapping of a U.S. citizen in Niger, where security risks remain high. The case also highlights instability in the Sahel and Niger’s shifting security partnerships since the 2023 coup.

An American missionary kidnapped in Niger in October has been released, his organization said Friday.

Kevin Rideout “is in good health in the care of US officials,” SIM International said in a statement. He will soon be reunited with his extended family, the statement added.

Rideout was kidnapped in Niger’s capital, Niamey, on Oct. 21 by three armed individuals and was probably driven out of the city, according to information provided at the time by a security official.

Niger has long faced attacks from armed groups, including jihadis linked to al-Qaida and the Islamic State group.

The U.S. Embassy in Niamey issued a security alert a day after Rideout’s kidnapping, warning that American citizens “remain at a heightened risk of kidnapping throughout Niger, including in the capital city.”

Niger has been ruled by a military junta since 2023, when it deposed democratically elected President Mohamed Bazoum. The authorities later pushed out Western partners, including the United States, which had soldiers in Niger, and formed a new security and diplomatic alliance with Russia.

In June, gunmen killed more than 30 people in an attack on Niamey’s main airport. It was the second attack there this year. The airport serves as the military government’s command hub, hosting its air force base, most of its drones and aircraft, and the headquarters of the regional alliance of troops from Niger, Mali, and Burkina Faso.

  • WWII Memorial vandalized on National Mall

    The Interior Department said late Thursday that U.S. Park Police were at the scene and investigating.

    Full story +

  • Tyson to close Illinois beef plant, sell Washington site

    Tyson earlier this month reported a $142 million loss in its beef division for its most recent quarter. The company said its average beef sales price rose nearly 12% from a year earlier.

    Full story +

  • , ,

    Trump Sets Drone Tariffs, With Higher Rates on China

    Trump also authorized the commerce secretary to create an onshoring program for companies making new investments in U.S. drone and drone-component manufacturing, consistent with the administration’s effort to strengthen national defense industries.

    Full story +

  • Georgia man gets 45 years after shooting SC trooper

    Public defender Jeremy Thompson said the accused was high at the time and did not remember what happened. 

    Full story +

  • State budget expands college scholarships statewide

    Lawmakers committed $18.7 million to expand the program to 32 counties.

    Full story +

  • North Carolina Senate race draws more outside ad money

    The ongoing Senate race is expected to be the most expensive Senate contest in state history.

    Full story +

  • Jackson disputes Duke testimony on rate increase

    Duke Energy Progress originally sought an 18.1% increase in residential rates over two years, but later reduced its request.

    Full story +

  • U.S. missionary freed after kidnapping in Niger

    No armed group claimed responsibility for the abduction.

    Full story +

  • UAE says Iran attacked 2 ADNOC vessels in Hormuz

    No injuries were reported, the ministry said.

    Full story +

  • U.S. to announce new Iran sanctions next week

    Over the weekend, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said a pact with Oman to establish a shipping route through the strait was “very close,” without providing details. No agreement had been announced. 

    Full story +