Tyson to close Illinois beef plant, sell Washington site

·

·

1–2 minutes
cows on a grassy field

Summary

Tyson planned more beef plant cuts, citing a prolonged cattle shortage and continued losses in its beef business.

Why this matters

Tyson’s changes show how a long-running cattle shortage is reshaping the U.S. beef industry, affecting plant operations, jobs, and meat supply. They also highlight how high consumer prices have not prevented losses for major processors.

Tyson Foods said it planned to close its beef processing plant in Joslin, Illinois, and sell its Pasco, Washington, facility as it cuts back in a cattle shortage that has raised costs across the industry.

The Joslin plant employs more than 2,000 people and can process about 3,000 cattle a day. The Pasco facility can slaughter about 2,000 cattle a day. Tyson also said it planned to close a large beef-packaging facility in Utah.

U.S. meatpackers have faced financial pressure during a yearslong cattle shortage, with domestic supplies at their lowest level in 75 years. Beef demand has remained strong, helping push consumer prices to record levels over the past 12 months.

The moves followed Tyson’s earlier closure this year of its Lexington, Nebraska, beef plant and reduced production at a Texas plant. Combined, the changes would reduce about one-third of Tyson’s previous beef-processing operations. The company now plans to increase operations at the Texas facility.

In a note to employees, Chief Executive Donnie King said recent Agriculture Department data showed limited signs that U.S. ranchers were expanding their herds, “which indicates these supply constraints are likely to persist, requiring strategic action.”

Tyson said the changes would make its beef operations more competitive during the cattle shortage. Tyson shares rose 1.6% in after-hours trading.

Tyson earlier this month reported a $142 million loss in its beef division for its most recent quarter. The company said its average beef sales price rose nearly 12% from a year earlier, while sales volumes fell 16%. Tyson also said it expected its beef business to lose $500 million to $650 million on an adjusted basis in its current fiscal year.

Tyson has been the second-largest U.S. beef processor by volume after Brazil-based JBS. Earlier this week, JBS reported an adjusted loss of $138 million in its North American beef business for the three months ended June 30.

In June, JBS said it would close a Pennsylvania beef plant. This week, the company said it would keep the plant open and convert it into a packaging facility instead.

  • WWII Memorial vandalized on National Mall

    The Interior Department said late Thursday that U.S. Park Police were at the scene and investigating.

    Full story +

  • Tyson to close Illinois beef plant, sell Washington site

    Tyson earlier this month reported a $142 million loss in its beef division for its most recent quarter. The company said its average beef sales price rose nearly 12% from a year earlier.

    Full story +

  • , ,

    Trump Sets Drone Tariffs, With Higher Rates on China

    Trump also authorized the commerce secretary to create an onshoring program for companies making new investments in U.S. drone and drone-component manufacturing, consistent with the administration’s effort to strengthen national defense industries.

    Full story +

  • Georgia man gets 45 years after shooting SC trooper

    Public defender Jeremy Thompson said the accused was high at the time and did not remember what happened. 

    Full story +

  • State budget expands college scholarships statewide

    Lawmakers committed $18.7 million to expand the program to 32 counties.

    Full story +

  • North Carolina Senate race draws more outside ad money

    The ongoing Senate race is expected to be the most expensive Senate contest in state history.

    Full story +

  • Jackson disputes Duke testimony on rate increase

    Duke Energy Progress originally sought an 18.1% increase in residential rates over two years, but later reduced its request.

    Full story +

  • U.S. missionary freed after kidnapping in Niger

    No armed group claimed responsibility for the abduction.

    Full story +

  • UAE says Iran attacked 2 ADNOC vessels in Hormuz

    No injuries were reported, the ministry said.

    Full story +

  • U.S. to announce new Iran sanctions next week

    Over the weekend, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said a pact with Oman to establish a shipping route through the strait was “very close,” without providing details. No agreement had been announced. 

    Full story +