USS John F. Kennedy begins final Navy sea trials

·

·

1–2 minutes

Summary

USS John F. Kennedy left Newport News for final Navy sea trials before its planned March 2027 commissioning.

Why this matters

The sea trials mark the final major test before the Navy accepts its next aircraft carrier, a key step in replacing aging Nimitz-class ships. The schedule affects carrier fleet size, retirements, and the Navy’s long-term force plan.

The aircraft carrier USS John F. Kennedy left HII Newport News Shipbuilding on Wednesday for Navy acceptance trials, the shipbuilder said.

“These trials will test and evaluate important ship systems and components,” the shipyard said in an online statement. “We wish them a safe and successful time at sea.”

The trials are the last major evaluation before the Navy accepts Kennedy, the second Gerald R. Ford-class aircraft carrier. Neither the Navy nor the shipbuilder said how long the trials would last. The shipbuilder completed its initial sea trials in February.

Kennedy is scheduled to be commissioned in March 2027. The Congressional Research Service estimated last year that its final procurement cost will be just under $13.2 billion.

According to the Navy, design changes, along with problems involving the ship’s electromagnetic weapons elevators and arresting gear landing system, delayed delivery by 20 months, from July 2025 to March 2027.

The carrier was also retrofitted with Raytheon’s Enterprise Air Surveillance Radar, which the Navy said will improve air defense coordination and speed tracking of incoming threats. Congress required Kennedy to be capable of operating the F-35C Lightning II, the carrier-based version of the fighter jet also flown in other variants by the Air Force and Marine Corps.

Kennedy is expected to be homeported first at Naval Station Norfolk, Virginia, before moving to Naval Base Kitsap, Washington, in 2029.

After Kennedy is commissioned, work will continue on the next Ford-class carriers, USS Enterprise and USS Doris Miller. Enterprise is scheduled to be commissioned in July 2030, and Doris Miller in February 2032.

The Navy said in January 2025 that it planned to request two more carriers, to be named USS William J. Clinton and USS George W. Bush. The ships still require congressional approval and shipyard contracts.

The Navy plans to retire older Nimitz-class carriers as Ford-class carriers enter service. USS Nimitz, commissioned in 1975, was originally scheduled to retire in 2025, but that date moved to March 2027 after Kennedy’s delay. USS Dwight D. Eisenhower, commissioned in 1977, is now scheduled to retire no earlier than 2030, when Enterprise is expected to enter service.

The Navy’s long-range plan calls for 10 Ford-class carriers to replace all 10 Nimitz-class carriers.

  • WWII Memorial vandalized on National Mall

    The Interior Department said late Thursday that U.S. Park Police were at the scene and investigating.

    Full story +

  • Tyson to close Illinois beef plant, sell Washington site

    Tyson earlier this month reported a $142 million loss in its beef division for its most recent quarter. The company said its average beef sales price rose nearly 12% from a year earlier.

    Full story +

  • , ,

    Trump Sets Drone Tariffs, With Higher Rates on China

    Trump also authorized the commerce secretary to create an onshoring program for companies making new investments in U.S. drone and drone-component manufacturing, consistent with the administration’s effort to strengthen national defense industries.

    Full story +

  • Georgia man gets 45 years after shooting SC trooper

    Public defender Jeremy Thompson said the accused was high at the time and did not remember what happened. 

    Full story +

  • State budget expands college scholarships statewide

    Lawmakers committed $18.7 million to expand the program to 32 counties.

    Full story +

  • North Carolina Senate race draws more outside ad money

    The ongoing Senate race is expected to be the most expensive Senate contest in state history.

    Full story +

  • Jackson disputes Duke testimony on rate increase

    Duke Energy Progress originally sought an 18.1% increase in residential rates over two years, but later reduced its request.

    Full story +

  • U.S. missionary freed after kidnapping in Niger

    No armed group claimed responsibility for the abduction.

    Full story +

  • UAE says Iran attacked 2 ADNOC vessels in Hormuz

    No injuries were reported, the ministry said.

    Full story +

  • U.S. to announce new Iran sanctions next week

    Over the weekend, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said a pact with Oman to establish a shipping route through the strait was “very close,” without providing details. No agreement had been announced. 

    Full story +